By Larry Hawkins
The No.1 Factor Outside of Production That Maximizes Profits is Planning Early.
I once heard a story about a fellow who rose from the mailroom to CEO and when he was asked the key to his success, he said, “I just kept showing up!” I know this was a simplistic reply and that there was plenty of planning and goal setting involved too. It is no different than establishing a comprehensive forage system that also solves problems on a diary farm. Yes. we can continuously plant corn silage and alfalfa, however, there are forages that can give you:
- Places to go with nutrient applications throughout the summer
- Provide forages that will be more completely digested
- Provide up to twice the digestible fiber per acre
- Can provide efficient diets (read more milk and less feed)! It all takes an effective forage plan
No factor affects on-farm profitability more than creating crop plans well prior to planting time. Few farmers truly understand the level of impact early planning can have on yields, quality and profitability. These cropping plans create continuity in the cropping system by sequencing where varieties and mixes will be planted and when. They make you a leader not a follower. They keep you ahead of everyone else. It is the factor almost all top producers have in common, and gives growers more control over their production system.
12 Reasons Why Producers Need to Crop Plan 2022 during 2021
- It allows all other production decisions that impact profitability to be made.
- It allows for earlier identification of production goals.
- It is essential when employing a “production system.”
- It provides a cohesive vision between the farmer and the seed supplier of the pathway to goal achievement.
- It allows for earlier financial planning and identification of cashflow needs.
- It allows more time to correct field problems prior to the next planting.
- It removes the emotion from the process, creating a better plan that, when followed, produces the desired results.
- It allows for better decision making during a time of less pressure to make decisions.
- It allows for more time to match the right product to the right fields.
- It lowers stress and increases confidence, creating a more positive outlook on the future.
- It is the latest and most effective method of ensuring profitable growth in every dairy farm operation.
- With the global nature of our seed sources and the extreme increase in popularity of some of our seed, supplies have been disrupted in each of the last 2 years.
Schedule a Zoom Meeting
To set up a ZOOM conference to plan your cropping system, send an email to Daniel or to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you are in the queue for the crops you need for your dairy.